Learn the Proven Presentation Formula That Will Turn Prospects Into Clients!
Is the time and money you’re investing in marketing your law business worth it? Is it actually yielding results?
Not all marketing and lead gen activities are created equally.
According to the Pareto Principle, only 20% of your efforts create 80% of your results.
Considering that your time and energy are finite resources, it’s important to spend them wisely—on the 20% that actually makes the difference instead of just spinning your wheels.
Today, I’m going to make that easier for you by sharing with you the best way to get clients—presentations that convert.
But not just any presentations…
I used to host presentations that got rave reviews.
Attendees would come up to me and say, ‘Thanks so much, I really need to get this taken care of.’
But they wouldn’t hire me. And when I followed up with them months later, I found out they had hired the competition.
What a waste of time and energy!?
Maybe this has happened to you before. If so, you’re not alone. It happens to a lot of attorneys.
That’s why in this blog post, I’m going to show you how to stop marketing for your competition and host presentations that turn 33%-50% of attendees into clients immediately, with the rest signing up when they’re ready.
Why Presentations are the best way to grow your law business
In the age of AI, where the drafting of legal documents is becoming automated, the only way to ensure that you continue to engage a steady stream of clients is to build meaningful relationships. You need to connect with the people in your community on a human level so that they know, like, and trust you enough to hire you to help them with the most important legal and financial decisions of their lives.
When most people think of building connections, they think of networking and introducing themselves to people one to one. While this can be effective, there is a better way that will give you a higher return on the time and money you invest in building connections. The way to get the most from your prospecting efforts is by connecting one to many.
Here’s what I mean…
Leading presentations puts you in front of 20-50 potential clients at one time and allows you to educate them on why they need your services and why you’re the perfect attorney for their needs, all within an hour. Just think how many hours it would take to make a meaningful connection with 50 people if you connected with them one at a time.
Leading presentations allow you to connect with and serve as many people as you need to reach your law business goals—without burning out or exhausting your marketing budget.
That’s why leading presentations is the best way to grow your law business, but the key is to do it using a proven system that actually converts.
Here are 3 steps to actually getting more from your prospecting efforts with presentations.
1. Become a confident speaker
Public speaking is one of the most common fears in society, but with the right tips and guidance, you can become a confident speaker if you’re not already.
The 2 main factors that contribute to growing as a confident speaker are:
- Being able to speak about a service that you truly believe in. Take for example The Life & Legacy Planning model that we teach, which is centered around our relational, heart-centered counseling methodology that you and your clients will love. This is practicing law like you’ve always wished it could be. It’s never salesy or pushy, and you’ll simply help your clients do the right thing for themselves and the people they love at the right price for them. When you have a service you love and believe in it will be easy to speak publicly about it.
- Consistent coaching by experts who know what success looks like, and who will hold you accountable to keep on practicing until you master confident public speaking. Our coaches will meet you where you’re at and help you to become a confident speaker that can get clients with ease.
For example, if you’re uncomfortable getting on stage in front of a full house, our coaches will help you get your feet wet by hosting webinars. Webinars require less of an investment than finding and renting out a venue and having to fill it with a room full of people. With webinars, you can build your speaking skills and start generating leads while taking less risk.
Even though webinars are easier to get started with than live presentations, I know some lawyers don’t like how they look on camera. If you don’t like how you look on camera, it’s likely because you’ve never been coached on how to create a camera presence you’re proud of.
One of our coaches, Glenn Allen, has helped our member lawyers look more authoritative and confident on camera by adjusting their camera angle so that their eyes are in the top third of the screen when presenting. Small changes like this make a huge difference.
Once you learn the basics of how to speak in front of people, all you have to do is put in the reps, and before you know it, you will be a confident speaker online and live on in-person stages.
2. Use a proven presentation formula
Even if you become one of the most charismatic speakers in your community, if you don’t use a presentation formula that actually converts, all you’ll get is rave reviews after your presentations and no clients. That would be a total waste of your resources, and I don’t want that to happen to you. That’s why I’m sharing my proven presentation formula that 522 member lawyers have used to get immediate clients and generate a steady stream of clients in the long term.
Winning Presentation Structure So You Aren’t Marketing for Your Competition
- 1-5 min for intro/your firm story and what makes you different, why they should listen to you … embedded in this part ideally is a couple of differentiator sentences that also seed what you’ll give them as clear next steps before you complete.
- 10-30 min sharing 2-3 stories that will illustrate the problem and help them identify if they have a problem or need to talk with you. During this section, they should be working with a worksheet or even just an index card that they are going to turn in to you before they leave, even if they aren’t booking appointments with you at the presentation.
- 15-min on the solution, their next step, how to take their next step with a very clear CTA that leads to booked appointments for you, or at the very least, you collecting information from everyone in the room so you can follow up with very clear next steps. In our program we teach our members how to leverage The Purple Worksheet, to make sure all attendees get their questions answered or take the next step.
- FOLLOW UP, FOLLOW UP, FOLLOW UP …. YOUR FORTUNE IS IN YOUR FOLLOW UP
Personal Family Lawyer Trish Butcher is one of the 522 lawyers that use this presentation formula to grow her law business. She uses this exact formula for her live monthly presentation event, Whiskey & Wills, which maxes out every month at 60 registrants and often has a waitlist. These presentations allow Trish to close an additional 10-12 clients a month at $4,500 per engagement. That’s $45,000 to $54,000 in added revenue from just 1 monthly event! And because her lead gen efforts are so streamlined, she’s able to grow a successful law business while still having work-life balance.
3. Speak to the right audience
Once you are confident speaking in front of groups and you have the right presentation formula, you just have to get in front of the right people. In addition to hosting their own events, we teach our Personal Family Lawyer firm owners to speak at affinity groups so they never run out of prospective clients.
We recommend you find groups to speak at, such as:
- Real estate offices
- Divorce law offices
- CPA firms and banks
- Local daycare, preschools and private schools
- Churches and synagogues
- Families with special needs
- “New mom” stores and kids’ play spaces in your community
- Friends of your clients
Learning to host presentations that convert transformed member lawyer Pam Maass Garrett’s life and law business. Before she joined us, she was seriously considering leaving the law. But after she became a member, her coach guided her through her resistance around hosting her first Wine & Wills event, and that first presentation resulted in her landing her first 15 clients! Now she’s engaging 15-20 clients per month at an average fee of $5,000 per engagement and growing. She also enjoys more free time with her toddler and new baby.
These are the transformations we help our lawyers achieve. If you become a Personal Family Lawyer (PFL), you’ll discover how to offer a high value service you love to deliver that can never be replaced by AI. You’ll learn a system for practicing law in a way that is truly fulfilling financially, emotionally, and spiritually and makes you proud of the lawyer you’ve become. If you would love to build your law practice into a business using Life & Legacy Planning as a Personal Family Lawyer…
You can apply to speak with a Law Business Advisor (LBA). Please note: since our LBAs are extremely full due to high demand, and we want to make sure you get the most value from your call with them, we’re moving to an application system:
- Your first step is to apply for a call with an LBA here.
- Then, you’ll be asked to answer a series of questions to confirm your readiness to speak with an LBA and to help you get the most value from the call.
As you continue to explore if our program is a good fit, you’re also invited to join our free Facebook community. The Lifestyle Lawyers’ Club is our exclusive, lawyers-only Facebook community of like-minded entrepreneurial lawyers. (It’s literally like having access to thousands of helpful senior lawyers who’ve already been where you are.)